Upcoming Speaking/Workshop Engagements
- 5/4-5 Presenter: Association of Educational Service Agencies (AESA) Conference “Universally Designed Leadership”
- 5/12 Workshop Facilitator: CREST Collaborative “Introduction to Universal Design for Learning”
- 5/18 Co-Presenter of New England ISTE Webinar: “What is UDL Anyway and How Is it Different from Differentiated Instruction (DI)?”
- 5/19 Workshop Facilitator: Central Berkshire Reg. School District “Teacher Cadre Introduction to Universal Design for Learning”
- 6/8 Workshop Facilitator: Central Berkshire Reg. School District “Universally Designing Staff Meetings and PD”
- 7/19-21 (Date TBD) Co-Presenter at M.A.S.S. Executive Institute 2017 “Universally Designed Leadership” and Book Signing
- 7/27 Speaker: Building Learning Communities-BLC 17: Education Conference 2017
“Universally Designed Professional Development” & “Universally Designed Leadership”
- 7/28 Co-Presenter: MASC Summer Conference Series “SMART Goal Setting”
- 7/31 Speaker: 2017 UDL Symposium Closing the Achievement Gap through Universally Designed Leadership (TED Style Talk)
- 8/1-3 CREST Collaborative Universally Designed Leadership and Planning for Success
- 8/15-8/16 Administrative Retreat Facilitator: Ayer-Shirley Regional School District “Strategically Planning for UDL Implementation”
- 8/23-8/24 Administrative Retreat Facilitator: Central Berkshire Regional School District “Strategically Planning for UDL Implementation”
- 8/28 Keynote Speaker and Workshop Facilitator; Central Berkshire Regional School District “Starting the UDL Journey”
- 8/30 Keynote Speaker; CREST Collaborative “Starting the UDL Journey”
- 11/1-3 Co-Presenter: MASC/MASS Joint Conference “SMART Goal Setting”
Recent Speaking/Workshop Engagements
- Co-Facilitation of Marshfield Public Schools Planning Team Planning for Success (Data focus)
- Workshop Facilitator: Ayer-Shirley Reg. School District “Universally Designed Leadership” Session 3
- Presenter: MESPA Spring Conference “Universally Designed Leadership”
- Presenter: UDL-IRN 2017 Summit in Orlando, FL “Universally Designed Leadership”
- Co-Facilitation at Pilgrim Area Collaborative Leadership Team Retreat: Planning for Success (SWOT focus)
- Full Day Workshop Facilitator: CASE, EDCO, & LABBB Collaboratives “Universally Designed Leadership”
- Full Day Workshop Facilitator: Central Berkshire Reg. School District “Universally Designed Leadership”
- Guest Appearance on The Dr. Will Show with host Will Deyamport
- Keynote: Dedham Public Schools “Leadership and Discovering UDL”
- Workshop Facilitator: Ayer-Shirley Regional School District “Universally Designed Leadership” Session 2
- Guest Appearance on Master Leadership with host Lily Sanabria
- Guest Appearance on District Leader with host Luis Valentino
- Full Day Workshop Facilitator: Ayer-Shirley Regional School District “Universally Designed Leadership” Session 1 of 6
- Presenter: MASC/MASS Joint Conference “Universal Design for Learning: An Introduction for School Committee Members and District Leaders“
- Presenter: MASC/MASS Joint Conference “Planning for Continuous Improvement”
- Guest Speaker: Ethics and Equity (Boston College) “Applying UDL to Systems and Schools”
- Full Day Workshop Facilitator: CAPS Collaborative “Universal Design 101 for Teachers”
- Panelist/Subject Area Expert: Represented K-12 educators at the The Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST) to discuss the implementation and supports needed for the new Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) with Ruth Ryder (the Acting Director) and Sue Swenson (the Acting Assistant Secretary) from the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) at the U.S. Department of Education.
- Presenter: CAST Symposium (Harvard University): “It Takes a Village: Building Engagement with all Stakeholders”
- Radio Appearance: Trending Now with Josh Arnold on the topic of leadership and learning
- Panelist: MEP (Mass Education Partnership) Conference “A Look Under the Hood: Innovative Strategies for Creating District Determined Measures”
- Panelist: Merrimack College Symposium “I Wish I Had Known That: Tips and Strategies From Your Interview to the First Day of Class”
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) Contracted Service Provider (2016-2017)
1. Student Teaching Partnership Consortium:
Dr. Rodriguez is the technical assistance partner selected to lead the yearlong Student Teaching Partnership Consortium out of the Center for Instructional Support. To learn more about this project click HERE for an overview or click HERE for my welcome video.
Recent Participant Feedback:
Based on all evaluations received, the average rating was 4 (the highest rating on a scale of 1-4).
- “I can’t believe how much we have accomplished today. Kristan is amazing at keeping us on track, focusing on the big ideas when we lose focus & makes this work feel attainable. So productive.”
- “Excellent facilitation. Kept us on track, focused, and purposeful!”
- “Kristan Rodriguez was organized, worked well with group, and an exceptional facilitator.”
- “One of the better meetings I’ve attended. I can’t believe we got so much done.”
- “The facilitator helped maintain focus and ensure we completed our action plan within the day’s agenda!”
- “The level of productivity today was oustanding…Thank you-super helpful.”
- “This meeting accomplished a tremendous deal. It allowed me to see the big picture and…identify how I fit into to this work.”
2. District Review Team Member
Out of the Office of District Reviews and Monitoring (ODRM), teams provide reviews that assess district systems, enabling district leaders to reflect on progress and strengthen performance. This year, Dr. Rodriguez is a key content reviewer for the areas of Curriculum and Instruction, Student Support, and Human Resources/Professional Development.
3. Trained PoS Facilitator
(2/21/17) Dr. Rodriguez was selected as a Massachusetts Planning for Success cadre member. As such, she will be trained this spring on the use of the MA DESE Planning for Success (PfS) model for creating multi-year district plans! Dr. Rodriguez will be on the M.A.S.S. endorsed list of PfS facilitators. Feel free to contact her if you want support in planning your district strategy starting this summer!
4. MOEC/DESE TVI (Teachers of the Visually Impaired) Educator Licensure Stakeholder Group Member
We will examine the competencies for MA Teachers of the Visually Impaired. The overall goals of the group are to:
- make recommendations on how to revise the MA Competency Review Guidelines for TVIs for teachers seeking preliminary license or add an additional license.
- draft rubrics for the subject matter knowledge (SMK) content not currently addressed in the MTELS and recommend minimal levels of competencies required for new teachers needed for day one teachers.
- draft text for the Potential Sources of Evidence Section.
- Adjunct Professor: Cambridge College Instructional Leadership: Supervision and Administration of Educational Personnel (Spring 2017)
- Course Development: Merrimack College Universally Designed Leadership (Fall 2016)
- Adjunct Professor: Fitchburg State College Universally Designed Leadership (Fall 2016)
- Adjunct Professor: Worcester State Universally Designed Leadership (Summer 2016)
- Universally designed leadership: Applying UDL to systems and schools (Novak & Rodriguez, 2016). Wakefield, MA: CAST Professional Publishing